Welcome!

Crystal Cathedral

Watch the Hour of Power online and on television (Saturday at 6PM PST on TBN, Sunday at 8AM EST/PST on Lifetime)

Kindness Korner

"The Price of an Unpaid Speeding Ticket"

FEAR AND ILL-HEALTH
“The price of an unpaid speeding ticket.”

In 1958 I left Kalamazoo, Michigan where I was working as a vocational rehabilitation counselor to go to seminary in Philadelphia.  Irked by an “improper passing” ticket a state trooper issued shortly before, I departed with the fine unpaid.  They won’t come to Pennsylvania to get me, I reasoned.  But I also knew my name to be on the great Michigan police computer and that I would be returning or passing through.  Nevertheless, I ignored my summons and forgot about it.

Then, a year later, came the first occasion to return to Michigan.  As I approached Toledo, Ohio I suddenly recalled that I was a “wanted” person in Michigan.  FEAR!!  My whole body changed.  Muscles tightened, stomach churned, heart raced, mouth dried, and my mind worked feverishly while my eyes were hyper-vigilant.

What havoc and damage fear can do to the human person.  Fear is now recognized as one of the greatest accelerators of disease.  To rightly work at prevention and cure of some illnesses, then, we do well to look at the presence of fear in our hearts.

Some fear, such as mine back then, can be eliminated by repenting and making proper amends to remove the real threat.  What a foolish high price we often pay for a few dollars or some momentary pleasure.  We actually jeopardize our health in exchange.

Beyond our foolish fears from sins and errors, real or imagined, there are the deep existential fears.  We might even call them terrors.  The question of death is the root of some.  But also the fear of meaninglessness.  Is my life worthwhile?  Do I matter?  Am I a good person?

There are spiritual answers for these potentially health-eroding agonies.  One immediate spiritual resource is the love and reassurance of people.  The care and kindness of others can heal and help enormously.  The ultimate healer is a thorough immersion in perfect love.  God is love.  Perfect love drives out fear.  (I John 4:18)  Reduce fear, feel better!

PS:  Yes, I was caught.  The great computer got me a couple of years later when I renewed my driver’s license in Michigan.  Oh yes, I did pay a price more than dollars for carrying that ticket so long?



No comments:

Post a Comment